Read Time:4 Minute, 32 Second
If you are planning to start an ecommerce store, it is important that you know pros and cons of each platform. Each has its own features and benefits, so you should know which will work best for you. When you start an online business, you just do not have to think from your own perspective, but from your audience’s point of view too.
While there is ruthless competition on the market, you will have to make strategy beforehand so that your business does not go downhill down the road. You will have to choose the platform that fulfils your requirements as per your business model. Some platforms are free of cost and some are paid. Choose the one that serves your business needs. Here are the top ecommerce platforms you can choose:
This web application provides you with a wide range of templates that you can customise according to your needs. The best thing of this platform is you can create your store without involving yourself in technical part. However, if you are familiar with HTML and CSS, you will be glad to have more control over the design of templates. It is Software as a Service tool that means you do not have to own it and install it in a particular computer rather you will pay subscription.
The pricing plans include Shopify Lite that costs $9 per months, Basic Shopify that costs $29, Shopify that costs $79 and Advanced Shopify that costs $299. If you are about to start an ecommerce store, Basic Shopify will be appropriate. Investment in this platform will not burn a hole in your pocket. In fact, you can take out guaranteed payday loans for bad credit from reputed direct lenders in the UK like London Loan bank if you have spent your savings in creating a business model.
- This is a good platform if you are interested in dropshipping.
- You can integrate Shopify with your social media accounts by paying $9.
- It is a hosted solution, so you do not need to buy web hosting.
- You will have access to a wide range of free attractive and responsive templates.
- Professional reporting functionality is not available in Basic Shopify.
- Shopify Payments do not support all countries. You will have to use third-party payment gateway if you operate your business in other country.
- You will have to pay transaction fees if you use third-party payment gateway.
It is an open source ecommerce platform that is equipped with flexible shopping cart system. You can also change the layout, content and functionality of your store when you want without any restriction. It offers a wide variety of plug-ins and themes that can enhance user’s experience. Reliability and scalability has accounted for the eminence of this platform.
- You can modify the source code and customise templates to achieve desired functionality.
- If you are managing multiple stores at multiple locations, no other platform can be better than Magento.
- It supports multiple languages and currencies, but not other platforms including Shopify.
- It is mobile friendly.
- It is extremely large and complicated to handle all its features.
- You can host it only on dedicated server that means extra cost.
- Enterprise version of Magento is very expensive.
Like Shopify, BigCommerce is also a SaaS product. You can use it to sell either physical or digital good. It provides you with a wide range of templates that you can customise on basis of your requirements. The features of BigCommerce and Shopify are more or less same. For instance, you do not need to be a tech savvy to run an online store on this platform. It provides four pricing plans: Standard for $29.95, Plus for $79.95, Pro for $249.95, and Enterprise depending on your business requirements.
- You will not pay transaction fees even if you use third-party payment gateway.
- It provides great SEO features. Most of them are not available in other ecommerce platforms.
- It is featured with built-in product review functionality.
- It is a flexible platform for variant products.
- You will have shell out money to avail abandoned cart facility.
- Annual online sales are limited. If you exceed them, you will have to upgrade your plan.
- Even though it provides different themes, but most of them are similar. There is no mobile app to support it.
It is an open source ecommerce plugin that supports from small to large ecommerce stores. Simple installation and customisation accounts for its use at large scale. It comes with secure payment gateway and a shopping cart. You can sell physical and digital goods by using it. You can have full control over your data and the best part is it supports mobile devices.
- It comes with thousands of themes and you can customise them as per your business requirement.
- It is updated regularly to ensure cybersecurity.
- It can also support affiliate systems and other business models.
- It uses secure payment gateways and e-wallets.
- Installation is free, but integration will require you to shell out money.
- You cannot use it if you do not know about WordPress.
- It lacks scalability. It slows down as your customers and sales grow.
The bottom line
There are many other ecommerce platforms too. Before making a decision, you must understand pros and cons and find out which will work best for your business.