Read Time:2 Minute, 43 Second
The evaluation of employee performance is vital for any company that wants to check the level of internal productivity. It is especially useful to analyze whether the objectives of the workers are being fulfilled or not and to be able to make decisions that unlock the worker and allow him to continue working and achieving objectives.
Performing a performance evaluation on a regular basis, it is possible to plan in advance aspects such as salary increases, internal employee promotions or the offer of social benefits for employees to meet the objectives previously set.
Key points of performance evaluation
Any performance evaluation should be oriented to these 3 basic principles.
- The kpis to be measured must be based on information and data relevant to the job to be evaluated.
- Employees must know the objectives to be measured.
3.The person in charge of evaluating should be the mentor who helps employees improve.
Work performance evaluation methods
There are several standardized methods or forms for employee evaluation:
– Evaluation by a supervisor: performed by a boss or superior who knows the employee, his performance and the functions to be performed.
– Self-assessment: As the name implies, it is the employee himself who evaluates his performance and proposes new ways to improve.
– Peer evaluation: It is carried out among employees with the same position or position.
– Evaluation by the employee: In this case, it is the employees who value their superior.
– Evaluation by the client: The client evaluates the work of the employees with whom he has contact.
– 360º evaluation: includes all the previous methods. It is much more complex and requires time and power of analysis.
– Automated evaluation: The worker is evaluated by computer monitoring. Somewhat intrusive, you must always have the authorization of the worker. The method commonly uses skills mapping software.
Common mistakes in the evaluation
Once the method to be chosen has been chosen and the necessary measures have been applied to carry out the worker’s performance evaluation, it is necessary to analyze the information and reach a conclusion. Some common mistakes that may result in the study of performance not reaching a relevant conclusion are:
– Not having clear and defined objectives before starting the evaluation process.
– Not knowing the employee or person to analyze.
– Do not propose solutions to improve performance and achieve new objectives.
– Focus the evaluation only on negative points.
Advantages of evaluating the performance in your company
– Improve productivity: through these actions and proposals that arise from the evaluation it is possible to improve the productivity and predisposition of the worker.
– Establish Compensation policies: the evaluation allows establishing adequate compensation policies for each team with which to incentivize the fulfillment of objectives. Many companies offer benefits or variable salary depending on the objectives achieved.
– Improve promotion policies: With the evaluation, you will be able to make decisions about professional possibilities that one or more employees can opt for.
– Detect errors in the position: the performance evaluation can show possible errors in the design of the position of the employee. Tasks for which that person is not prepared or should not be performed.
– Mitigate external agents: sometimes the performance of an employee can be influenced by external factors, such as family, health, money, etc. If these factors arise your company can help.