Read Time:1 Minute, 24 Second
Some see siding as just an aesthetic addition, but it’s more than that. It’s also an important layer of protection against weather and other threats, so making the right siding choice is important. This infographic can help with your decision!
Here are a couple of the siding choices we break down, including their respective descriptions, life expectancy, and other benefits:
Metal Siding: Aluminum and Steel
Aluminum gained popularity because it was cheaper than wood, and also needed less maintenance. Then steel emerged as another solid option, thanks to its added strength and durability.
Average Life Expectancy: 20-40 years (aluminum); 40+ years (steel)
- Comes in many styles, and can mimic the look of wood
- Aluminum is one of the lowest-priced options
- The aluminum substrate can last for decades but needs periodic refinishing
- Steel costs more per square foot but is less prone to dings and dents
- Galvalume steel is very resilient and doesn’t need refinishing
Fiber Cement Siding
Fiber cement is the newest entry and has become favored thanks to great looks, impressive durability, low maintenance, and cost-effectiveness.
Average Life Expectancy: 50-100 years with basic care
- Comes closest to emulating the look of natural wood grain
- Available in a variety of styles, designs, and orientations
- Incredibly durable, not susceptible to rot or pests, little required maintenance
- Includes recycled and recyclable materials; it’s more resource-efficient
- Higher price point, but also likely to be the last siding you’ll ever need
Ready for all the details? View the complete infographic! Skywalker Windows replacement & Siding is an elite team of professionals serving the NC Piedmont Triad, Piedmont Triangle, Charlotte Metro, and Roanoke, VA areas.